In the summer of 2017, the League to Save Lake Tahoe collaborated with California-based LimeBike to bring a bike share pilot to South Tahoe. The goal was to test bike share as a means of reducing car trips. Pollution associated with driving cars degrades Lake Tahoe’s clarity.
- Time frame: July 14 to October 14, 2017
- Bicycle trips made in South Tahoe using the LimeBikes: 12,731
- Total riders: 5,953
- Average riding time per bike share trip: 8.73 minutes
- Average riding distance per bike share trip: 1.10 mile
- Cumulative distance of rides during the bike share pilot program: 9,925 miles
- Estimated vehicle miles avoided: 6,617
Trip data and estimates courtesy of LimeBike.