The League's vision for Lake Tahoe includes communities and facilities that "provide low-impact outdoor recreational opportunities now and into the future."
The League encourages users to enjoy low-impact recreational activities in the Lake Tahoe Basin. High-impact activities such as the use of snowmobiles, off-road vehicles, and jet skis put a tremendous stress on the environment. When you are enjoying the great outdoors, abide by the "Leave No Trace" theory – leave the area exactly as you found it.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Always stay on marked trails when you hike or bike.
- Consider enjoying the lake on non-motorized watercraft.
- If you are using motorized watercraft, follow speed and noise limits, and respect other users and wildlife.
- Follow boat inspection procedures.
- Consider snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and backcountry skiing instead of snowmobiling. If you do snowmobile, please respect wilderness boundaries, wildlife, vegetation and other users.
- Take public transportation, and Tahoe's numerous free ski shuttles, to your recreation destination.