Passionate, persuasive and engaging storytelling wins hearts and minds, and inspires action. To Keep Tahoe Blue for generations to come, Tahoe’s visitors, locals and decision-makers must be aware of the threats facing our Jewel of the Sierra and be motivated to join the League to Save lake Tahoe in working toward sustainable solutions. That journey starts and ends with effective communications.
The League to Save Lake Tahoe (the League) is searching for a self-motivated, highly organized, fun and skilled communicator to help recruit new members, enhance the League’s fund-raising efforts, strengthen its iconic brand, engage the public and generate the action needed to Keep Tahoe Blue. The Communications Associate (CA) position is an opportunity for a budding communications professional to gain valuable experience working in a dynamic environment, across a range of different mediums – including video, photo, writing and online – in coordination with passionate subject matter experts, and with deep involvement in Tahoe’s community of visitors and residents.
Founded in 1957, the League is the oldest and largest environmental organization focused on protecting Lake Tahoe. We have a solid culture, based on our organizational values, that supports and guides us in our decision making and planning for the future. The League is a solutions-based, innovative organization that values professionalism, transparency, work/life balance and credibility. Our team reflects these core values and supports one another to achieve our goals. The League is excited to have a highly skilled and passionate Communications Associate join the team.
RESPONSIBILITIESUnder the supervision of the Communications Manager, the CA will produce high quality video and photo content, manage the League’s social media presence, assist in earned media engagement and website management, and be highly involved with the community through the League’s Concerned Citizen process and through serving on collaborative committees and working groups as appropriate.
Videography, Photography & Video Production
High quality video and photo content can tell a compelling story, and Lake Tahoe makes a good subject. The CA will develop creative briefs, shot lists and scripts for video production projects. You will capture photos and videos in the field using a DSLR, drone, GoPro and smartphone at League events and other out-of-office happenings. You will also edit video content to create short videos for sharing on the League’s website and across its social media channels.
Communications Materials (collateral, email, messaging, website, etc.)
The CA plays a large role in preparing the materials the League uses to engage its thousands of members, its tens of thousands of online followers, and the broader public. You will use League-approved messaging to draft external communications, including e-newsletters, social media posts, media advisories and other simple statements. You will also create original digital artwork and design collateral materials for print production, including postcards, fact sheets and banners. To engage the public, you will draft and deploy online opinion research using tools such as Survey Monkey, Google Forms, Doodle, and assist in managing the organization’s website, including updating content and building new pages using a CMS.
Social Media Management
The League’s social media accounts reach more than a hundred thousand people, making them a powerful tool. As CA, you will help create original posts and stories, develop a post calendar, and monitor and respond to audience engagements, all in a respectful and timely fashion with a consistent voice. You will also use social media to drive further engagement through the League’s other digital channels, and build and nurture relationships with social media influencers to extend the reach of the Keep Tahoe Blue brand. In order to maximize the potential of the League’s social media presence, you will stay abreast of rising trends, themes, and features across social media platforms, including but not limited to Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Community Engagement & Administration
As a nonprofit organization, the League relies on the support of the public to advance its goals. As CA, you will monitor and manage incoming emails to the League’s informational and media-specific inboxes, track inquiries and responses, loop in other members of staff for input, and respond in a timely, thoughtful and respectful manner. You will also represent the League by attending meetings, corresponding with partner groups, agencies and organizations, and participating in relevant committees and working groups as requested by the Communications Manager. The CA will also look for local events the League can leverage for communications by maintaining a forward-looking calendar of events, festivals, conferences and community happenings.
The CA will correspond directly with reporters, editors and members of the news media to field questions and provide answers vetted and approved by the League’s Communications Manager. You will be responsible for monitoring media activity of relevance to the League across multiple publications and media outlets, and track coverage in a systematic, analyzable format. You will also be asked to prepare media clipping reports for the League’s staff and board members.
WHAT YOU NEED
Required Job Skills
- Enthusiasm for the League to Save Lake Tahoe’s mission and programs.
- Communicates honestly and directly with coworkers.
- Owns personal successes and readily admits shortcomings.
- Works well in an environment that requires collaboration with multiple partners.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different timelines and levels of importance simultaneously.
- Quick starter; responds smoothly to changing priorities and unexpected needs.
- Ability to accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Has a familiarity with Lake Tahoe environmental and policy issues.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the outdoors, nature and preserving the environment.
- Manage outside vendors and coordinate efforts with community partners and staff simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate succinctly, persuasively and eloquently in both speech and writing.
- Strong graphic art and design capability (can provide examples of work).
- Fluency in Adobe CS, including but not limited to Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere and Rush.
- Experience with digital photography and videography.
- Video capture and editing skill and experience (can provide examples of work).
- Proficiency managing social media pages across multiple platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Business, Youtube, etc.).
- Ability to work on contentious issues and remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness and physical ability to work outdoors, potentially in inclement weather conditions.
- Some travel required.
- Proficiency with HTML.
- Experience using a CMS (e.g. Wordpress, Wix, Squarespace).
- Drone pilot certification.
- Presentation design skills using platforms such as Keynote and PowerPoint.
- Experience using a social media management platform (e.g. Hootsuite).
- Experience in environmental education.
- Experience in digital marketing and e-commerce.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
Organization Specific Requirements
- Valid driver’s license, current DMV printout, auto insurance and dependable vehicle.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for significant periods of time.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications and Google applications.
- Position requires some physical activity such as bending, stooping lifting and carrying. Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
- Share in office cleaning and chores.
- Attend staff meetings, staff retreats and activities.
- Work at annual benefit, annual meeting, Tahoe Forest Stewardship Day or July 5th Beach Clean Up, and other events as requested.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Other duties as required.
WHAT WE OFFER
The Communications Associate is a full-time hourly position based at our headquarters in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Our regular business hours are from 9 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday. Due to the nature of the position, you will be working in the office from 8:30 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday with some evening and weekend work depending on organization and event schedules and needs.
We offer health and dental benefits, vacation time after a 90-day probationary period, sick time, employer retirement matching after two years of employment, an eco-conscious office environment and a fun and highly motivated team dedicated to protecting Lake Tahoe.
Pay range: $16 - $18 per hour.
Reports to: Communications Manager
If this sounds like the job for you, send a PDF copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Tell us why you’re the best fit for the position and for the League.